Image d'introduction
Texte d'introduction

Whether you want to travel, live or work in Singapore, you need a visa. Singapore offers a plethora of options, which are more or less difficult to obtain, depending on your profile. We have listed them down below to help you find out which visa you need.

Corps de l'article

I am a student

If you come to Singapore for an exchange in a Singaporean university, you will need a student pass delivered by the ICA. This pass is valid for 6 months and can be renewed. You can’t have a full time position in a company with this pass but you are allowed to do some part-time jobs such as baby sitting, homework help, etc.

If you are between 18 and 25 years old and want to do an internship or work for a few months in Singapore, you will need a Work Holiday Pass (WHP) under the Work Holiday Programme. It is valid for 6 months and you will have to wait another 12 months before you can apply for one again. To be eligible for this pass, you will need to be an undergraduate or graduate of a university in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Switzerland, the UK or the US. Additionally, your university has to be recognised by the government of the respective 10 countries or regions. For both undergraduates and graduates, you will need to be full time students in order to apply for the pass. Candidates must be fully vaccinated, and they will need to apply for the pass themselves. It is 175 SGD for one pass and it takes around 3 weeks for the application to be processed.

For a 3-months internship, you can get a Training Employment Pass provided that you are studying at an acceptable institution or earn at least 3,000 SGD per month. This pass can’t be renewed and the company that hires you has to apply for you.

I am visiting Singapore

If you plan to visit Singapore, you must first check to make sure that you meet the basic entry requirements before seeking entry into Singapore. When this process is taken care of, and you are eligible to enter Singapore, you will be given a visa pass that will determine the number of days you can stay in Singapore.

With Covid-19 still ongoing, visitors travelling to Singapore need to take note of the new SG Arrival Card, where they will need to fill in the declaration 3 days before arrival.

If one of your family members is living in Singapore with an employment pass or a permanent resident status, he or she can ask for a Long Term Visit Pass for you. This pass is valid for 2 years and can be renewed. You cannot work in Singapore but find a job and then get an employment pass.

I want to work in Singapore

The most common visa for expatriates working in Singapore is the Employment pass (EP), held by 12% of the non-resident foreigners in Singapore. The minimum monthly salary required for an EP is 5,000 SGD for all sectors and it will progressively rise with the new changes implemented by the government as of September 2022. As for the WHP, it is unclear why your application for an EP is accepted or rejected. However prestigious degrees and interesting professional experiences for the Singaporean market increase your chances of getting an employment pass. The company, which hires you, applies for the pass. There are no quotas and the pass can be renewed but if you lose your job, you will lose the EP that goes along.
If you earn more than 12,000 SGD per month and hold an EP (or apply for a position in Singapore paid more than 18,000 SGD) you are eligible for a Personalised Employment Pass, which is valid for 3 years but non-renewable. This pass offers more flexibility: no need to apply for a new EP when you change your job. You can also apply for more professions such as medicine, law, etc. By September 2023, the government will be raising the eligibility salary rate to 22,500 SGD.

The S-pass is quite like an EP except that you have to earn at least 3,000 SGD per month and there are quotas. You also need a health insurance to get this pass. About 11% of the non-resident foreigners in Singapore hold this pass. By 2025, the salary requirement will be raised to 3,300 SGD per month.

The Work Permit is meant for non-skilled or mid-skilled workers in the construction industry, marine, manufacturing or domestic personnel and services. 45% of the non-resident foreigners in Singapore have a work permit.

My partner works in Singapore 

If your partner found a job in Singapore and you wish to follow him, you and your children can obtain a Dependant Pass (DP), provided that the EP holder earns at least 6,000 SGD monthly. This pass depends on your partner’s EP and thus his or her job in Singapore. If you want to work, you will need a Letter of Consent delivered by the Ministry of Manpower. DP holders represent 14% of the non-resident population in Singapore. There are no quotas and it can be reissued.

I am an entrepreneur

Entrepreneurs can apply for an EntrePass. This pass is valid for a year and can be renewed. There are no quotas. To be eligible, you have to register your private limited company with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority, hold at least 30% of the shares and the company must have at least 100,000 SGD in capital in a Singapore-based bank account. However some businesses are not eligible: coffee shops, bars or massages salons, for example.

Need to top up your health cover:

As an expatriate, you may not be afforded the same benefits through the Singaporean public healthcare system, so you may want to consider taking out personal health insurance Singapore, you can get a quote online or speak with one of our APRIL International advisers for more help.

Titre articles poussés
Know more about : Living & Lifestyle